Working With Your Insurance Agent

« Back to Home

Need An SR-22 Form After Your Driving Under The Influence Charges? What To Know Today

Posted on

If you were caught drinking and driving but you are going to have driving privileges to drive to and from work, you need to get the right insurance coverage. Getting insurance after an incident like this can be expensive, but you won't have a choice if you need to have your license.

You may want to call a few different auto insurance providers to compare their rates and to see if any company is offering you a lower cost than your current insurance provider. Here are some of the things to expect.

Prepare for High Insurance Costs

Your driving record may have made you a risk for insurance companies to cover because you engaged in irresponsible and dangerous costly driving habits. You should prepare to pay up to 57 percent more than your previous policy, or around $1,000 more annually than you have in the past. This could be more or less based on your insurance company, your driving record before this incident, and the type of vehicle you drive.

Get an SR-22 Insurance Form

Your state will want proof of your insurance before you can have your driver's license reinstated. This means your insurance provider will have to fill out an SR-22 form. You will have to apply for this, and there is usually a fee to have them do this extra paperwork for you. Once you have it you can take it with you to get your license. It proves you have the necessary insurance needed to get behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Consider a Low-Profile Vehicle

The more valuable your vehicle, the higher your insurance will be regardless of your driving history. If you have a very expensive foreign vehicle or a vehicle that has a bright color or features that make it draw attention, you may want to consider getting a more modest vehicle that will have a lower insurance rate.

Life after criminal charges like driving under the influence can be stressful, and it can be difficult to find affordable insurance. Be sure that you take the time to shop around, and find a company that can provide you with the coverage that you need, and the SR-22 form that you will need to provide. Once you are able to drive again you can start working on establishing a better driving record and a clean driving history to slowly bring your insurance rate back down.

To learn more, contact an SR-22 insurance agency in your area such as Clover Insurance.