Working With Your Insurance Agent

« Back to Home

Additional Insurance Coverage You May Need As A Single Parent To A Young Child

Posted on

As a single parent of a young child, your auto insurance needs are different from those of a family of two or more adults. You should seriously consider including these three forms of coverage in your auto insurance:

Roadside Assistance and Towing

If your family has at least two adults, you may be able to rely on each other for assistance if one of your cars breaks down. For example, you can call your partner to pick you up if your car stalls. As a single parent of a young child, however, you can't afford to be stranded in the middle of nowhere, especially if you have the kid with you. Therefore, including roadside assistance and towing in your auto insurance coverage is something you should seriously consider.

However, ensure you don't duplicate coverage for these things. For example, some auto clubs have roadside assistance programs for their members. So if you belong to one and they have such a program, you don't need to add it to your auto insurance coverage.

Rental Car Reimbursement

If you have multiple cars, as is usually the case with a family of two or more adults, you may not need to rent another one if one of them breaks down. For example, you can use your partner's car temporarily while yours gets fixed. If you have one car, however, you will have to rent another one if you don't want to be grounded when yours breaks down. Having rental car reimbursement in your coverage will help you pay for the expenses of this rental car when yours is being repaired.

Increased Liability Coverage

Carpooling is a good way for single parents to reduce the cost of taking their children to different places, such as school functions or after-school programs. For example, it might be difficult for a working single parent to take multiple children to different after-school programs. However, carpooling with neighborhood parents might solve the problem.

Unfortunately, carpooling carries with it a higher liability risk than driving yourself or your family alone. Therefore, you probably need a higher liability coverage limit than that required by your state's insurance regulatory authority. If you don't have higher coverage and you are involved in an accident, you may face an expensive lawsuit if your liability coverage proves inadequate to compensate the injured passengers.

These are just a few examples of the coverage you might need. As you can see, auto insurance coverage varies by situation; what might work for your friend may be inadequate for your family. Talk to an agent from a company like Reinard Insurance Agency Inc for a thorough understanding of every coverage you need for your small family.